Sunday 4 March 2018

Cured Lincolnshire Sausage

Ingredient Grams
Basic Mix 2000
Sage (fresh) 20
Black Pepper 8

This was my first experiment taking a traditional English fresh sausage recipe and turning it in to a cured sausage. The key ingredient is sage and I used the same amount that I would use for making fresh sausages.

While the finished item is good to eat, the flavour of the sage does not come through strongly enough. I wonder if I should use a higher proportion of fresh sage or switch to using dried sage which has a stronger flavour? I guess I will have to make more to see which will produce the best results. My hunch is that the dried sage will work better.

I also notice that the fresh sage turns form green to black after the sausage has fermented. It's a shame because the bright green sage seen through the translucent skin of a fresh Lincolnshire sausage is much more appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment